Thursday, December 17, 2009

Service Dogs

I have been looking into service or assistance animals for people who suffer from mental disorders for a while now. This research is for myself and others who suffer illnesses like epilepsy and other disabilities that aren't as visually obvious as seeing and hearing eye dogs.

Some benefits to having a service dog for ie: bipolar disorder is training them to do various tasks like, wake you during an emergency, dial certain phone numbers, remind you to take your medication at certain times and even get it for you as well as a glass of water, help you in public by forcing people to be a certain distance from you and if you become overwhelmed b/c of the crowd he/she can be trained to look like he/she needs to go to the washroom. A service dog will also feel your moods. If your depressed or manic, they can be trained to cuddle you for comfort or inform you of your manic state.

At first I was interested in a dog b/c I was concerned I would wake up at night if there was a fire or an intruder after I took my sleeping pill. Also I'm paranoid of all intruders.

When I lived with my parents a few yrs ago, I became close to there parrots. These to birds helped me tremendously by being there with me and feeling my moods, knowing what to say when I was depressed and playing games with me when I needed my spirit lifted.

A service or assistance dog for seeing or a mental disability has the same legalities. I have been working on increasing the awareness for the need of trainers for service dogs for people with mental disabilities for a while now. If you are interested in some thing like this please let me know, or if you want information I'll be happy to give you what I have. pandora106@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow that would be awesome, the only person in my life right now who 'judges' my state of mind is my husband, so i'm 'crazy' when he's angry mostly haha.. pretty subjective :).... i remain