Thursday, February 18, 2010

Noise and Nerves

Different noises can effect anyone's nerves in different ways. When some one has a anxiety disorder or other mental illness like Bipolar disorder, noises most likely effect them more.

No matter how healthy I become, certain noises drive me up the wall and others almost make me feel crazy again. I used to work in a lab which had machines going all day. Even though it wasn't loud the grinding and humming made me feel like crawling up a wall.

Right now the 2010 winter Olympics are being held in the city where I live and I'm within 15min from about 1/2 of the events. There is excitement in the air, and I can hear live bands playing ever night as well as the fire works, bars, parties and people in the streets from the time it gets dark to about 4:00 in the morning. It's driving me crazy!

The only way I can deal with it is to keep my TV on loud when I go to sleep and spend the night at other people's houses every once and a while.

2 comments:

Thought Bubble Ten said...

Noise affects me most when I'm trying to focus on something. But I've been practicing meditation and that helps me to just observe the noise without reacting to it. This helps me a great deal. It doesn't always work but I'd say it does about 98% of the time. It's good that you're able to get some kind of relief.

May said...

Meditation is an excellent way of overcoming stress obstacles. Thanks for suggesting it for noise nerves. What kind of meditation do you use?