Saturday, February 4, 2012

Lack Of Sleep Causes Depresion

It is so common for us to have 5, 6 hours of sleep or less. In our fast pace society, most people don't have the time to spend on rest and sleep. It's recommended that we need 8 - 9 hrs of sleep a night but on average we get less than 7. Prolonged sleep deprivation can cause depression.

When we don't have adequate sleep our central nervous system is affected, it becomes more active, inhibits the pancreas from producing enough insulin, the hormone needed to digest glucose.

Studies taken show that a lack of sleep within 2 years can change the chemicals in your brain and lead to depression. Not only that, it can cause high blood pressure, anxiety, heart problems and weight gain.

I know from experience how not sleeping made me crazy. Now that I'm getting back into life I have a challenge to balance expectations of productivity and my desire to keep up with all activities in life with the time to sleep as well as the time it takes me to wind down to be able to sleep.

We need to make sleep a priority. Simplify your life if needed. Learn techniques on how to shut out life and fall asleep. If you don't, you most likely will suffer the fate of depression and unnecessary anxiety.

2 comments:

Candida Abrahamson said...

I find it interesting that you discuss how sleep can impact depression--which it most certainly can. However, sleep can impact bipolar, too. I did a series on bipolar illness, but the one that might really be helpful here is thee post summarizing research on how lack of sleep itself can precipitate a manic episode. Check it out at http://candidaabrahamson.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/knitting-up-the-raveled-sleave-of-care-sleep-and-bipolar-disorder/. All the best, Candida

May said...

Yes I definitely agree that sleep can impact bipolar disorder as well. I related a lot to your link especially when your not sleeping it likely means your going manic.