Sunday, March 11, 2012

Allergic Disease Linked To Bipolar I

People with airborne allergies can lead to the exacerbation of depression in patients with bipolar I. A study done by Teodor Postolache (University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA) and co-workers shows that 44% of patients who have bipolar I have airborne allergies like pollen and hay fever.

During high exposure to allergens, symptoms of bipolar increased.

It just amazes me how connected each part of our body is. How a physical problem like allergies connect to brain function. My question is what came first? The allergy or the mental disorder.

4 comments:

Allergies..... said...

Millions of people deal with allergy symptoms at some point in their lives. Sometimes allergies cause annoyance, but they are a part of life. If you have allergies, help is out there! It is not necessary to suffer needlessly.

May said...

Thank you for your comment. Do you suffer from allergies? How has that affected your life?

Acceptance is good in some ways but also detrimental in other ways that it can take your fight from you. Help is out there and suffering doesn't need to continue, I agree. It's finding what help is right for you and your body that's a challenge.

Unknown said...

I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly.

May said...

Thank you Andrew. Why do you agree?